The following permits were issued in the Building Department for
the month of August 1952:
13 Permits for. new construction Cost $198,725
21 Permits for additions and alterations " 41, 900
Total - $240,625
WEED CLEARING APPROVED
The following letter was recently received by the Board of Trustees:
There were many favorable comments expressed at our last
monthly meeting about the work of the Highway Department in cleaning weeds
in the southern part of the Village this summer. We wish to express our thanks
to the Board for its cooperation in helping to correct this dangerous and un-healthy
Harry Zorger - Secretary
The Atlantic South Civic Association.
CLEARING OUT THE VILLAGE ATTIC
For more than 58 years the Village Office has been accumulating pub-lic
records, none of which could be destroyed because the law of the State of
New York forbade it. It is not commonly known. But even every letter written
to the Village becomes a public record, as well as the reply to it. In 1951-
the Legislature passed a law which provides that with the consent of the State
Commissioner of Education certain types of records may be destroyed after
having been kept for a specified length of time. Many types of records have
to be kept forever, such as assessments of real estate, deeds, certain books
of financial records, and all records having historical, legal or fiscal value.
As rapidly as possible, the Commissioner of Education issues printed
instructions covering in detail the various types of records and the length of
time they must be kept. So far, the Village has been authorized to destroy dog
licenses issued prior to 1950, various types of other licenses issued prior to
1946, certain types of records of the Water Department kept prior to 1946,
and fire insurance policies which expired before 1946. Instructions covering
ordinary correspondence and many other types of records are yet to come.
It is quite a job to clear our Village attic. John F.DeLorme, former
Village Trustee, is in charge of the operation.
The Village Clerk has recently received notification from the State
Insurance Fund that the Village is one of the winners in the 1952 State Fund
The Freeport Park Commission would like to hear an expression of
opinion on the band concerts presented this season at Randall Park and the
Municipal Park. Drop a line to the Freeport Park Commission, Mrs. Enders
Acting Secretary, and let us know whether you would like these concerts to be
scheduled again for next season.
Vol. 1 - No. 6 October. 1952
The Board of Trustees at its meeting on September 8th,'authorized
issuance of permit for a parade for the 60th Anniversary Celebration, in ac-cordance
with the line of march as outlined below:
Form in front of Municipal Building with Police escort facing Brooklyn Ave.
1:30 P.M. - parade starts at 2:00 P.M.' Sunday, October 19th-, 1952.
East on Brooklyn Avenue to North Main Street-
South on North Main Street to Merrick Road
West on Merrick Road to Long Beach Avenue .
North on Long Beach Avenue to Brooklyn Ave. ^~
- .East on Brooklyn Avenue to Municipal Park -
at North Ocean Avenue and Brooklyn Avenue- •
where the grandstand is to be erected. —
Judge Hilbert R. Johnson is General Chairman, Homer Harris, Vice
Chairman, Mrs. Harvey Sinkler, Secretary, and Harry A. O'Rourke, Grand
HOUSING AUTHORITY BEGINS OPERATIONS
The Freeport Housing Authority will occupy its new headquarters on
Monday, September 15th, 1952, located in Room 205, 11 West Sunrise High-way.
Thomas W. Cann, Project Manager, will be in the office daily. It is
suggested that all inquiries relative to the housing project be made of Mr .-Cann.
Telephone service will be installed within very short time. Number will have
to be obtained by calling "INFORMATION" - not the Village Office.
NEW STATION PLAZA
Steps to speed up the railroad grade crossing elimination project in
Freeport has been given impetus by plans of Senator John Bennett andAssem-blyman
Joseph Carlino to use their efforts in the Legislature to secure funds
for the carrying out of the project at the next session of the Legislature. In
the meantime, the Village has recently acquired a substantial piece of prop-erty
immediately east of Henry Street and south of the railroad tracks for the
purpose of the station plaza development. The property was acquired from the
Tri-Williams Associates. The entire project has been delayed due to inter-national
STEPS of VILLAGE GROWTH
WATER - The water system of the Village was begun in 1894, when $35,000
bonds were sold. That sum covered the laying of five miles of pipe, 75 fire
hydrants, a building to house the steam boilers and two 70 H. P. engines,and
in its first year of operation 99 customers were served.
Today, water is served to 6997 customers and in addition the Village
is supplied with water without cost to the taxpayers for many purposes, such
as flushing sewers, for all Village -owned public buildings and 840 fire hy-drants.
If the fire hydrants were supplied with water by a private water com-pany
it would cost the taxpayers at least $42,000 per year. Qualified experts
say that our excellent -water system and our efficient Fire Department save our
residents $2,750,000 each year in reduced fire insurance premiums.
Since its beginning, the Village has issued bonds in the amount of
$965,000 for the water system. The Auditor's report, as of Feb. 29, 1952,
shows that the system has assets of $1,114,116.67 after deducting the sum of
$777, 717. 89 for depreciation.
ELECTRICITY - The Electric Department was started in 1897 with proceeds
from a bond issue of $20,000. Power to generate current was had from a 70
H. P. engine, and during the first year of operation had 28 customers. Today
the department has 8,791 customers, and in addition furnishes light for all
Village-owned public buildings and to 1066 ordinary street lights and 199 orn-amental
street lights without cost to the taxpayers.
Since its beginning to December 5, 1951, bonds for the development
of this department have been issued in the amount of $836,000. The rep'ort of
the Auditor, as of Feb. 29, 1952, shows that this department has assets of
$2, 761, 108. 24 after deducting $1,476, 240. for depreciation.
PAVED ROADS - In 1911 and 1921, twenty years after the Village was incor-porated,
the voters approved$65,000 for paving certain roads with "Peekskill
gravel". From 1926 to 1933 the Village sold bonds in the sum of $1,217.000
for permanent paving of our streets. All of those bonds have been paid off.
SEWERS - Over a period of years the property owners of the Village refused
four times to vote funds for a sewer system. Finally,.at the fifth election held
in 1926, a favorable vote (by 15 votes)was had and, today, the greater part of
the Village is sewered. Cost to date - $2, 574, 000.
From the date of its incorporation in 1892 up to and including 1922,
(the first thirty years of its corporate existence) the Village had issued bonds
in the amount of $486,000. Since 1922 it has issued bonds, up to December 4,
1951, in the amount of $7,721,600 for a grand total of $8, 207, 600.
FIRE DEPARTMENT WALKIE-TALKIES
The Board of Trustees adopted a resolution to provide modernequip-ment
for the Fire Department to increase the efficiency of its operation. Under
the di rections of the resolution, the Chief of the Fire Dept. is authorized to ac-quire
one two-way radio set foruse of the Deputy Chief and two walkie-talkies
with which toequip the firemen for efficient service in the performance of their
duties. The need for such equipment was brought out at a recent fire on the
roof of the extension to the Municipal Power Plant where the firefighters were
some eighty feet above the ground and the transmission of signals by short-wave
would have facilitated operations.
Bulletin issued monthly in the
interest of residents of the
Village of Freeport
ROBERT L. DOXSEE, Mayor
Leonard D. B. Smith
Seward J. Baker
W illiam Glacken
For information concerning Village
facilities, residents are invited to -
phone the Village Clerk -
E.T.CHESHIRE - FReeport 8-4000.
Board of Trustees -,., Monday
Board of Appeals -3rd Wednesday
Sewer Commission-On Call
Planning Board -On Call
Plumbing Board - 3rd Monday
Civil Defense - Last Thursday
SEWER LINES COMPLETED
The office of the Village Engineer has recently completed the final
inspection of sewer pipes, manholes and other installation in the streets listed
below in Lateral Sewer District No. 6 A, which is one of the several districts
in the southern section of the Village recently supplied with sewer lines. The
engineers1 final inspection shows the sewer pipes to be at the proper line and
grade, clean of all accumulation of sand and debris, and otherwise up to the
specifications required. The trenches have been back-filled and streets open
Ray Street from West End Avenue to South Bayview Avenue
Forbes Place from Ray Street to Atlantic Avenue
Elinor Place from West End Avenue to South Bayview Ave.
Joan Court from Elinor Place to Dead End.
May Court from Elinor Place to Dead End.
Anchor Street from West End Avenue to District Line.
The Boardof Trustees by motion approvedthe report and accepted and
approved the sewers as having been installed in accordance with terms of the
COMMENDATION for POLICE SERVICE
The following letter was recently received by Mayor Robert L. Doxsee
and Members of the Board of Trustees:
Our Chief of Detectives, Stuyvesant A. Pinnell, has brought to
my attention the outstanding cooperation of your Patrolmen Stewart MacLachlan
Shield Number 38, and Henry Schwaner, Shield Number 33, by whose keen ob-servation
and faithful allegiance to duty,a hit-and-run operator was apprehen-ded
on August 20, 1952 who was involved in an automobile accident resulting
in the death of an occupant, same having occurred at Atlantic Avenue and East-ern
Boulevard, Baldwin, New York.
I wish to commend said members to your official attention and
express my deep appreciation for the exemplary cooperation.
John M. Beckman
Commissioner of Police
County of Nassau.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
This digital image may be freely used for educational uses, as long as it is not altered in any way. No commercial reproduction or distribution of this image is permitted without written permission of the Freeport Memorial Library, 144 W. Merrick Road, Freeport, NY 11520 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org