The Rambler STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
AGRICULTURAL AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE
FARMINGDALE, N.Y. 11735
S;V.y,Y. al Furmingdale^s Day Student ISewspape
Funded by mandatory ttu<lent activity fees
VOLUME 57, NUMBER 3
ATnhteh oFloagrym: ingdale ^ i f c ONivthWn
PTahret WOanres: Between By Robert Hammer
In the first half of the twentieth century, the known world changed dramatically. Our country
was an agricultural society. New technology was constantly being developed to make life more.
liveable. We learned how to kill with poison gas and bombs instead of guns. Yes, this is part one of
the Fanningdale Anthology.
SUNY Farmingdale also changed drastically since its inception in 1912. In 1987 the Agricultural
program which was the basis for founding the college years ago will be discontinued. So let us go
back in time and get Into our sturdy horse and buggy and travel on a dirt road, now called Route
110, to the past
The New York State Institute of Agriculture wa» oq;amzed in 1912 by an act of the NY State Legislature. It was to be located thirty-three
miles from New York City on the border of Nassau and Suffolk County. ConstructicHi of the first building began in 1914 and the first class
of students enrolled in the NY state institute and only 16 of them graduated in 1919. In 1923, Director Johnson who was head of the
Institute since its inception, resigned. In 1924, the Teachers School was established. However due to financial problems, as well as
constantly changing courses and requirements for admission, the public image of the institute suffered to the extent that serious doubts
were expressed as to its survival as a school Pressure was brought to bear, for instance, to convert the institute into a branch of the
Creedmore State Hospital The institute weathered the storm and went on to increase its course offerings and to widen its extension
program. As the quality of instruction and course organization improved and the reputation gained by institute graduates spread, public
acceptance of the institute was achieved by the mid 30's. Government agencies during the depression were responsible for many campus
improvements, the most notable being Knapp Hall and the Administration Building.
The courses of study initially were Farm Mechanics, Poultry, and Animal Husbandry. In 1924, the teacher training program was
established and it was one year in length. The agricultural program had initially been four years in length and was reduced to three years
and Hnally to two years. The Institute also offered a number of six month programs on specific areas of agriculture.
The entrance requirements initially to SUNY Farmingdale consisted of a minimum of an eighth grade education and a minimum age of
sixteen. In a matter of years, this was amended to a minimum of a high school diploma.
In 1916, there were 83 students in the first class. This increased to 123 in 1917 and fell to44 in 1922. In the following years the student
enrollment steadily increased up until World War II. The average age of the students in 1931 was 19 and the youngest being 16 while the
oldest was 61.
(continued on page 5)
AH oBmige cSoumccinesgs !1!9! 86 Page 3
htiurr^ Akunf U Ikr Butimr- Uub't 75lk fuMirrrwirv kmtth frMtur*^ dmrimm Ike IVH6 llumeriMmimm triMlUm,